Monday, June 29, 2009

Wired Family Vacation--Weird Family Vacation?


Yesterday after church my husband and my middle daughter and I got in the car and drove about 500 miles to O'Fallon, Illinois. The drive was pleasant and easy. We shared delicious, home-made bread and wonderful chicken salad at a picnic at a rest stop--also some very tasty white cheddar.

We arrived at a motel about 9 pm and tried out three rooms before we got the rooms right. (One was not what had been advertised. We'd hoped for a two room suite so our 21 year old daughter could have some privacy from us and, okay, we from her. The second had two rooms and a brokensofa bed with no sheets or blankets for it in evidence. The third was a basic two-king room for about $40 less than we'd have paid for a suite. So chalk one up for family togetherness and saving money!) There is no agenda today. We are all enjoying some important unwind time. And we're letting time pass until this evening when we plan to go to a jazz and blues club for supper and some live music.

But we are doing it in a characteristically 21st century way. At the moment we are all sitting in a Starbucks with our laptops. Two of us have earphones in. I took a picture of the three of us with my iphone, just because I could.

So this is iconic of our wired, weird way of being a family, I guess....